Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Depressing and exciting

Okay, so how is that possible you ask, right? Well, the exciting part is that I surpassed my goal of losing 1 pound this week. I ended up losing 1.4 pounds. I was so proud of myself. The depressing part came in about 3/4 through the day when I hit a snag in my day and it just brought me downhill. I'm not an emotional eater, meaning that I seek food when I'm depressed or happy, or whatever. But today was so bad that I wanted to cry. So I was really wanting something sweet and ate some girl scout cookies. I even ate some turkey kielbasa - yikes!

With that said, I finally stopped counting my calories this evening. I didn't get in even half of my water intake and just said forget it to working out. What had me so down? My daughter is an ice skater. She's been doing this since she was 4 years old. We've been at the same rink for 2 years now (she's 8). The area around here is wonderful. I love it because people are so friendly. However, I have read and heard about ice skating mom's that just make you feel like you're an outsider. If you aren't part of the in crowd, you're nothing. I haven't been part of the in crowd the entire time I've been here and I'm fine with that. I don't care about being a part of a group. As long as my daughter loves what she's doing, then I will continue to do it. However, I'm starting to see it have an effect on her. She really doesn't have any friends at the rink and kids that have been there less time than she has have been widely accepted. It may have something to do with the fact that we only go 2 days a week vs. their 4 or 5 days but it's still a bit depressing.

So I spoke to my husband tonight about it. She may love to ice skate but she also loves to draw. We're thinking of having her quit skating once summer comes and start doing art classes at the YMCA. They have an awesome program there. She's already taking a homeschooler's art class but this would strictly be drawing. She can't do it right now because it's on a night that she skates. We've decided to let her make the choice but we're going to try and influence her decision by presenting her with the "cool" new things she could learn. It's heartbreaking because she loves it so much but I don't ever want her feeling like I do right now - an outcast or a freak. Am I being silly?

1 comments:

yogovonne said...

Very informative, and your site!Wonderful!

Post a Comment