Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

My day with a Breakfast Egg Sandwich

Well, it's the end of the day for me. I know it's only 7 in the evening where I'm at but I'm going to call it a "food night." I'm hoping to not eat anything else for the rest of the evening. With the way that I'm feeling, I'm guessing that I should be alright. So how did I do? Well, let's see:

Breakfast - Egg Sandwich
Lunch - Leftover Olive Garden Spaghetti with 5-cheese Marinara (can you say YUMMY?)
Snack - Chips
Dinner - (biggest mistake) I went to Taco Bell. In case you don't know it, my daughter is an ice skater. She spends 3 days a week on the ice - right near dinner time! Then I have two other days where there are activities around the same time. One is for gymnastics for my son and the other is swimming for both kids. Yeah, bad timing but it's not available any other time!

Overall I ate a whopping 1792 calories and 198 carbs. I'm not supposed to take in more than 135 carbs. My goal is 120 in carbs. Why do I have to worry about this anyway? I'm pre-diabetic. So what does that mean? I'm not diabetic. However, for years I have suffered what's termed "glucose intolerance." It doesn't matter if I eat good or not, about an hour later I run the risk of having my sugars bottom out. The lowest I've seen is 34. That's close to passing out. Not good. There really isn't anything the doctors can do. They have told me to watch what I eat and exercise. I also watch my levels periodically. So that's where the whole carb thing comes into play.

Then I have the other end of the spectrum. I can eat really good and find that my after dinner reading (usually 2 hours after) can be really high. The highest I've seen is about 207 but it's normal around 183. Yep, not good. However, none of these readings are consistently the same. Other times I will just run normal. So they gave me that poppycock term to throw around and I have an excuse to not worry about what I eat because my glucose levels will do what they want. LOL.

So how would you like to have my Egg Sandwich recipe? It's really simple.

Ingredients:

  • 1 large egg
  • 1 slice bread of choice
  • 1 teaspoon mayonnaise (or as I prefer to call it - Miracle Whip)
  • 1 slice American White Cheese (or other if you prefer)
  • 1 Slice Turkey or Ham
  • Cooking Spray

Directions:

  1. Place bread into a toaster to brown. If you don't have a toaster, put your oven on broil but leave it cracked open a bit so the heat doesn't become too much for the bread. Watch for browning so you can flip to get the other side.
  2. I always buy cooking spray that doesn't have any calories or carbs. My favorite is Pam. Spray a little in a pan and heat it up.
  3. Crack open the egg and put it in the heated pan. After the whites start cooking, you can break the yolk so it cooks better. (I'm not a fan of sunny side up even though I'm from California where the sun always shines!). Flip egg until almost done cooking.(about 5 - 10 minutes).
  4. Add slice of cheese on top of egg to melt.
  5. After bread is done toasting, remove and add Miracle Whip (or mayonnaise). Remove egg and cheese from pan and place on top of the toast.
  6. Add meat to pan and cook on both sides for about 2 - 3 minutes, or until browned. Add on top of sandwich.
This is actually a very low carb/calorie breakfast and it fills you up. Depending on your bread choice and mayonnaise, you could end up with a sandwich that has about 200 calories and only 18 carbs. My personal sandwich had 246 cals/18 carbs. If I were to purchase low carb bread it would be even lower. Since I'm not a huge fan of the bread I've seen on the market, I just get Price Chopper's 99 cents a loaf bread. Works for me! Hope your day went well. Remember, if you want to share what you ate you can do it in the comments area or click on my Facebook link and come over to share in the discussion area! ~Denise

0 comments:

Post a Comment